Tell a friend. Follow our blog. Volunteer at our facilities. Organize a book drive. Run an advocacy campaign. Whatever it is, the International Book Project needs you!
Sign up to receive emails and updates from International Book Project
Subscribe to our blog.
We'll send posts right to your inbox, or use the RSS feed to get them with your feed reader your email
We are pretty active across various social media, so follow us and engage with the International Book Project on the platforms you use most.
Use your social network to spread the word about IBP's work, and the importance of literacy development. We've tried to make this step as easy as we can by putting a share button on every page of this site, as well as on every post on the blog. But you can always just do it the old fashioned way too, and copy the page URL. Or share our whole site with one of the buttons below!
Blog about the cause.
Do you blog? Take the opportunity to raise awareness and share with others about how books change lives.
Support an IBP Project
IBP is fortunate to work with individuals that understand the power of books. We value all commitment, no matter what the size. If you are interested in organizing a fundraising event IBP would be more than happy to help along the may Whether it is giving you a Powerpoint to show potential donors, or sending you information generate awareness, IBP will help you anyway we can
Why We Need Your Help
The International Book Project is a small organization doing big things! With just a staff of 4, IBP depends on the hard work and steadfast commitment of its volunteers. Because of the work of volunteers, IBP is able to send more than 200,000 books to over 70 developing countries every year.
What Volunteers Do at IBP
- Cleaning and sorting books in the warehouse - Volunteers sort books and organize the warehouse. IBP is more efficient in sending our books when our warehouse is organized. Sort and stock books-We receive donations of books five days a week. Volunteers sort and stock books in the warehouse and bookstore.
- Packing books - IBP sends 6-10 sea containers a year and some of them come directly from our warehouse. Volunteers are needed for "packing parties". IBP's volunteers organize, record, and box the 10,000 to 20,000 books for one sea container.
- Ambassador - Volunteers can also simply tell others about what IBP does, including directing others to our blog and Facebook page.
- Other Talents or Skills — IBP appreciates fresh idead If you have any skills or thoughts regarding warehouse organization, graphic design, or bookstore cataloguing, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator and share.
- Organizing a Book Drive or Event — IBP values innovative ways to raise funds and awareness for our cause. Many groups do book drives, while holding awareness campaigns, but it is up to you.
How to Get Started
- Signing up to volunteer — Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Volunteer Coordinator, Merritt Rohlfing, to schedule a meeting so that IBP can get to know you and what type of tasks you most enjoy. The staff will give each volunteer or volunteer group a tour of our facility and a brief orientation of IBP's mission and history.
- Volunteering hours - Monday through Friday, 9 am - 5 pm, by appointment. Exceptions are made for large groups and sea container packing parties which usually take place on a Saturday.
- Large groups IBP limits our large groups to 15 volunteers. If your group is interested in volunteering, please contact Merritt Rohlfing at email@example.com or at 859-254-6771. Because most volunteer tasks involve warehouse work, IBP does not accept volunteers younger than 15.
How to Donate Books
International Book Project accepts donations of many types of books. You can donate books by dropping them off Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm, at the IBP warehouse located at 1440 Delaware Avenue, Lexington, KY 40505.
All donated books must be in excellent condition. Please do not donate books that have:
- Broken bindings
- Torn or missing pages
- Yellowed pages
- Excessive underlining or highlighting
Types of Books Most Needed
- Books for native speakers of Spanish and French
- Children's library books (picture story and chapter books)
- English grammar
- Science texts (K-University)
- Math texts (K-University)
- Dictionaries and picture dictionaries
- Medical texts
- Vocational books (plumbing, electrical wiring, carpentry)
- Agriculture and Animal Science texts
- Encyclopedias newer than 1990